Here’s some of the songs in the story. I’ve not explained their context as that would spoil the story, you’ll just have to read it and find out for yourself! But I have included some explanation of why I like the songs.
- One For Sorrow by Steps – Bananarama did it first, but not nearly as well, I’ve found. This is one of the most Abbaesque Steps songs, I feel.
- Five, Six, Seven, Eight by Steps – it’s set in the nineties, this group was everywhere in the UK then. That is all.
- No More I Love You’s by Annie Lennox – the video with the Minnie Mouse ears is amazing
- Stay by Shakespeare’s Sister – because I love the video, and the French and Saunders version is hilarious too.
- Voulez Vous by Abba – discotastic and fabulous!
- Vienna by Ultravox – a crime that it didn’t get to number one in the UK charts.
- Love’s Unkind by Donna Summer – because it is isn’t it?
- Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley – decades before Rick-rolling
- I Want That Man by Blondie – it’s a gay fiction story, it wouldn’t be complete without this song I felt.
- Orinoco Flow by Enya ‘sail away, sail away, sail away’ I often write to Enya music.
- Making Your Mind Up By Bucks Fizz – I am a massive Eurovision Song Contest fan, so one of the rare times the UK won, this had to be in the story.
- Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship – from the film, Mannequin. That is all.
- I Feel Love by Donna Summer – electro disco before there was such a genre.
- My baby just cares for me by Nina Simone – because it’s awesome in every way.
Next time, the films mentioned in Best Friends Perfect Book One.
Keep singing and dancing!
Liam Livings xx