I've divided them into 4 categories:
- Experience – new experiences I'd like to have, these are a bit more wishy washy than the other sections, most are nice to have.
- Accomplice – new things I'd like to do. I've kept this pretty flexible as who knows what my workload of MA and life will look like in 2, 4, 6, months plus?
- Quit – things I'd like to stop doing. I generally don't stop doing things, but I've focussed on negative things here.
- Continue – things I'm going to continue doing, just to make sure nothing drops off the end.
- This year I'd like to explore co-authoring a book with someone. So any authors out there who are interested, do get in touch. It seems to be like the new thing with my author friends co-authoring left right and centre.
- A new type of conference – maybe Euro Pride Con, maybe GRL, maybe RT – all depending on finances and holiday allowance at the day job
- Self publishing the Kev trilogy
- Sort out logo and strap line
- Launch marketing support for authors service
- Complete and pass my MA in Creative Writing studies – this year I have 2 more modules in this term, and next term from May, my dissertation
- I have a big first draft backlog, so I plan to self edit, get beta read and submit: Glitzy Gay Saga, Love U More, The Other Man, I Should Be So Lucky
- Write first drafts of, depending on MA and life priorities, 1-4 of: Imploding Marriage (the m/f romance), Tenerife story, Finland skiing story, Christmas Life Swap story.
- Write and submit historical novella
- Read writing books: David Lodge, The Art of Fiction and Janice Radway, Reading The Romance (as well as normal fiction reading too) From what I've read of these so far for my MA, they are both brilliant books, but I want to read them both cover to cover and really immerse myself in them.
- Being drawn into online dramas and meltdowns and losing hours of my life on negativity. NO MORE.
- Feeling guilty if I don't write as many words as last year, or don't blog as often as I'd have liked, or don't self edit and submit everything I'd like to do - because, hey, MA, people!
- Feeling guilty when I take a break and do nothing (or read, or watch Gilmore Girls).
- Being a reader for the RNA New Writers Scheme – 3 manuscripts
- Beta reading for friends when I can fit it in
- UK Meet organising and attending
- RNA Conference and London chapter meetings – attend (and contribute to an author services panel about marketing for authors in summer
- Waltham Abbey Writers – help run the group and possibly organise a repeat write in session depending on how January's session goes
- Attend Queer Company event in November
- Blogging regularly
What are your 2016 writing goals?
Liam Livings xx